This is mainly a note to self, hence the style. It is posted here in the hope that others may find it useful.
Useful documentation source: http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/tutoriel/utiliser_carte_identite_electronique_belge Many thanks to its author. This got me starting.
1. Install drivers for the card reader and daemon for accessing them
sudo apt-get install libacr38u libacr38ucontrol0 pcscd pcsc-tools libpcsclite-dev
(Re) Start the daemon :
sudo /etc/init.d/pcscd restart
2. Install the Sun Java machine
The open source one will not work
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
3. Get the latest middleware and viewer from Google code
Do not use the Ubuntu repos. They have version 3.5.2. Adjust the URLs below to the current version
wget http://code.google.com/p/eid-mw/downloads/detail?name=eid-mw_4.0.0r925_amd64.deb wget https://code.google.com/p/eid-viewer/downloads/detail?name=eid-viewer_4.0.0r71_amd64.deb sudo dpkg –i eid-mw_4.0.0r925_amd64.deb sudo dpkg –I eid-viewer_4.0.0r71_amd64.deb
4. Test if the card can be read
Either look for the “eID card reader” application or type “eid-viewer” in a terminal session.
insert the ID card in the reader: Your picture and data should be displayed
5. Configuration of Firefox
Caveat: other browsers (Chromium) are not supported at this time.
- Install this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/belgium-eid/
- Restart firefox
- Launch it again and go to Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Encryption
- Under “Security devices”, unload the existing “Belgium Identity Card PKCS#11”
- Load a new device. I called it “Belgian ID” (the name seems unimportant) . The module filename should be “/usr/lib/libbeidpkcs11.so”
- Under certificates -> authorities, check the trust on the “Belgium Root CA2” certificate. All check boxes should be checked.
- Restart Firefox, just to be in the safe side
AppArmor does not expect an Firefox to access a card reader. Hence, add to /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox (after “for networking”)
# for BeID: /var/run/pcscd/pcscd.* r, /tmp/* ix,
Save and run
sudo apparmor_parser -r /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.firefox
7. Test it in firefox
Try accessing the National Register: https://www.mondossier.rrn.fgov.be/
Fill your tax form online: https://www.taxonweb.be/